In Memorium...

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not soe,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill mee.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die." - John Donne

I don't generally post about death...it's such an unavoidable, inevitable, part of life...that there's little to be said (or, at least, to be said better than others have said before)...but when I read that Joseph Ettedgui, founder of Joseph, died a couple of days ago I had to say something.

For me, Joseph...the store, the advertising, the oh-so-beautiful-and-worldy sales assistants, not to mention the clothes themselves (both from Joseph's own label and from the likes of Azzedine Alaia and Katherine Hamnett)...encapsulated the point in my young adulthood where I realized I didn't have to conform to others views on my looks, intelligence, or destiny and could go my own way. It was...for reasons I'm not expressing at all lucidly...a place that provided me great amounts of happiness even if all I did was walk in and bask in the store's serenity for a few minutes.

As such I had to say goodbye...and thank you...dear Mr. Ettedgui...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • 2:37 PM
    This cannot have effect as a matter of fact, that is what I suppose.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...