"One reason God created time was so that there would be a place to bury the failures of the past." - unknown

The comforting...I mean slightly disturbing...that is to say...it's at once reassuring and disconcerting that in Ralph Lauren time the years merge into one seamless blob...vintage RL designs and those of current seasons blend seamlessly together...so that you're left wondering if time has stood still...

I was reminded of this manifestation of the space/time continuum when I flipped through Barney's latest Co-Op catalog and spotted a Navajo blanket jacket...almost identical to the skirts sitting in my closet (thanks to my mother's fascination during the 80's with all things Lauren)...and a gentle push to take the blasted things out every once in a while and actually wear them...
Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    9:55 AM
    Zoinks: I thought this image was from the '80s and that you were discussing trends from decades ago. It is fascinating how RL's looks stay largely similar, and yet are somehow still relevant and popular.
  • Jennifer said...
    8:34 PM
    I guess he's found a formula that works for him... Does give me flashbacks to High School, though.

    Hey Heb, did you see the news? Isabel Marant is coming to Soho next year!

    http://racked.com/archives/2009/10/02/storecasting_isabel_marant_to_open_in_soho_early_next_year.php

    It will be yet another store I can only dream of having the money to buy something from. Until then, I'll just look through the racks...
  • Hebden said...
    8:51 PM
    enc - my personal theory is that Ralph Lauren has a picture in his attic (a la Dorian Gray)...

    gemmifer - I heard...was excited...then saw the pictures from her S/S '10 collection...pink pom-pom earrings do not form a part of the Marant vibe that I know and love...
  • WendyB said...
    9:06 AM
    You have to wear those skirts! Those are brilliant. If you don't want those skirts, I'll take 'em!
  • Jennifer said...
    9:37 PM
    oooof! I didn't know about the pom-pom earrings... that doesn't bode well for her coming collection. At least we'll be able to see in person for ourselves.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...