The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg?

All this talk of cost per wear has dragged my mind over to Golden Goose...Italian designers of beautiful (but gulp inducingly expensive) rough luxe. At first glance it's hard to believe that the outfit below would leave you $3,795 plus tax less well off once you passed the cash register (do not pass Go, do not collect $200)...lest you blame it on the fur, even if you remove the fox vest from the equation you're still looking at $403 for a plaid cotton shirt...$510 for chinos...and $488 for some pre-distressed hi-tops.

The shirt and the hi-tops I can't even attempt to rationalize...a plaid shirt being, well, a plaid shirt...and my own well worn pair of Converse treating me just fine (thank you very much). The chinos on the other hand...I'm on the fence over...I can't help but admit that they're excessively priced for a pair of cotton pants...yet...there's something about the fit...slouchy and relaxed...yet crisp...which I know few lesser priced pants could attain. Once again, the c.p.w. conundrum leaves me reeling under the weight of "52 weeks...divided by 2...times 3" computations...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • 12:55 PM
    I'm beginning to think in terms of cost per wear too. I find it easily justifies $$$$$ purchases... which is a good or bad thing depending on how you cut it.

    The Golden Goose look is easily replicable for probably 10% of the price...
  • annemarie said...
    1:26 PM
    Who on earth buys Golden Goose stuff, besides the Sea of Shoes family? When I first laid eyes on the $488 distressed high-tops, I was dumbstruck. There's something very cynical about the kind of customer GG seems to target-- a person who wants to affect the appearance of someone who doesn't buy expensive new clothes because they are either anti-consumerist or poor, yet can still rest quietly in the knowledge that they are neither of the above.

    The pants are indeed very nice, but no, I couldn't buy anything from that brand, even if the CPW balanced out-- there's something just morally wrong and dishonest in the way they are aping that aesthetic.
  • Jennifer said...
    12:31 AM
    I guess these prices shouldn't be shocking from a company that charges $1500 for a pair of boots, but they still make my jaw drop. In. sane.
  • muebles camobel said...
    7:41 AM
    Thanks for your article, very useful information.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...