"...their clumsy vanity..."

"Men always want to be a woman's first love. That is their clumsy vanity. We woman have a more subtle instinct about things. What we like is to be a man's last romance." - Oscar Wilde


I've mentioned my klutziness before...and yesterday was a prime example...strolling along (wearing my pale trench coat) I suddenly noticed that one of my fingers was covered with blood. Unbeknownst to myself I'd caught it on something and was doing my best impersonation of the proverbial "stuck pig".

Thankfully the fallout was restricted to a few spots of the red stuff on the front of my coat but I'm uncertain of the best way to try and remove them. Previous attempts with 'home remedies' have been disastrous...I was once convinced, incorrectly as it turned out, that a garment should be soaked in milk to get rid of an ink stain...the end result was that Mr. Heb went from having a small half inch stain on the front of his white shirt to a tie-dyed effect over the entire shirt. And so, I'm turning to my very knowledgeable readers...any suggestions?
Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 8 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    9:15 AM
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-blood-stains.htm
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:31 AM
    I have all sorts of suggestions for removing blood from cotton, but a trench? I'm opting out of this one. I don't want to suggest anything that'll ruin your treasured coat.

    Good luck with Anonymous' suggested site,^^ and let us know what happens.
  • Anonymous said...
    11:19 AM
    Try just plain old cold water first. Then soak in Palmolive dish soap for a day, then rub with more cold water. Works like a charm.
  • Anonymous said...
    1:33 PM
    According to my vintage Vogue Sewing book (which helped me get ink stains out before):

    Washable fabrics: soak in lukewarm water and determent. If yellow stain remains, apply laundry bleach. For stubborn stains, apply a few drops of ammonia.

    Dry-Cleanable: Treat with cold water to which table salt has been added, one ounce per qt of water. Rinse and blot with towel. Try warm water and hydrogen peroxide to remove final traces.
  • EM said...
    2:08 PM
    I've used hydrogen peroxide and dabbing with a soft cloth to get blood out. It worked very well and quite easily. I was impressed.
  • Natalie said...
    8:23 PM
    Gonzo--the best stain remover on earth.
  • Hebden said...
    8:27 PM
    Thanks everyone, I knew you'd be able to help. I think (fingers crossed) the "plain old cold water" worked...but if anything remains once it dries I'll hit it with the big guns (i.e. Palmolive and hydrogen peroxide).
  • 12:00 AM
    For me, spot cleaning the wet fabric with a concentrated amount of shampoo worked pretty well. Shampoo (or other detergents) makes sense theoretically because it has EDTA in it, which works well as a metallic chelator (for the iron in blood).

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...