“The great seal of truth is simplicity.” - Herman Boerhaave

Today's ensemble is, I suppose, an homage to my grandmother...in that it's comprised of 90% black and I'm wearing the antique intaglio ring that she wore on a daily basis. Intaglio is Italian for carving and in intaglio jewelry the design in carved into (usually) a gemstone. Signet rings, like grandmama's, that are decorated with intaglios were often used as seals...pressed into sealing wax onto some nobleman's letter so that whoever received the epistle knew that it hadn't been fiddled with.

If I actually wrote letters anymore...as opposed to sending emails...I'd probably be tempted to use it...

Photobucket


Boiled wool sleeveless jacket - Alexander Wang, sweater - APC, t-shirt - Muji, jeans - Levis, boots - J Crew, leopard print scarf - APC, antique intaglio ring

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    6:03 PM
    You could always smack someone in the face with it and leave your mark that way.
  • Hebden said...
    6:37 PM
    Now there's an option that I hadn't considered...
  • Jennifer said...
    7:55 PM
    Your ring is beautiful! I have had an obsession with intaglio seals for many years now. I would love to find one with an unusual image, not initials or the head of a Roman warrior.

    So far I have a tiny Georgian fob with a bird intaglio as well as an unset intaglio that says "FARE" and has an image of a well. I need to figure out how to set that into a pendant or a ring one day.
  • kittygoespotty said...
    1:37 PM
    Well, I do not really suppose this may work.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...