“Two of the cruelest, most primitive punishments our town deals out to those who fall from favor are the empty mailbox and the silent telephone.”

You know those random catalogs that land in your mailbox...the ones that you never signed up for and are therefore unsure of why you’re actually receiving them (apart from the advertiser’s urge to kill more trees)? Well, for me, Boden is one such catalog. Perfectly ‘nice’ clothing but a little too “suburban mom doing the school run” for my tastes. Yet for the last six months it has appeared in my mailbox with disturbing regularity.

The other day I was a little bored (okay, I admit it...it was the only piece of mail in the mailbox) so I took a flick through the pages to see if anything interesting was lurking amidst the polka dot blazers and color-blocked skirts...

As it turns out I discovered not one, but two, pieces that caused a flutter of interest. First up, their waxed cotton biker jacket which bears a strong resemblance to the Belstaff jacket that I bought a while ago (only considerably cheaper). Item number two, a black denim shirtdress...one of those basics which I've had trouble tracking down in the right cut/cloth/length...from the photograph my search could be at an end.

Of course, this means that I'll now feel the need to go through every unrequested catalog that hits my mailbox in case I miss something...

Photobucket


The title quote is by Hedda Hopper for anyone who's interested...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    8:22 PM
    I love your blog and visit daily to see what goodies you've discovered!

    I am eyeing that waxed cotton jacket in black... my experience with Boden has been ordering items and then finding they don't look as good on me as on the models in their catalogue. I don't know if I'm up for another disappointment but might just have to give it a shot. I also folded down the page for that black shirtdress, so maybe my credit card is in for some heavy action soon!
  • Elizabeth said...
    1:22 AM
    How awful to be a slave to every catalog that comes. I get lots, as you may already know.

    I love looking through Boden—which appeared magically, too—but I don't order from them.

    You're so right about that jacket looking like Belstaff. I've been interested in getting a Belstaff forever, but I can't seem to find anyone that stocks it here.
  • Hebden said...
    11:26 AM
    jennifer - thanks for the Boden info...I've never ordered from there so it's good to hear from someone who has

    enc - a few years ago there was talk of Belstaff opening a flagship store in NY but I guess that fell through...I got mine in the UK and, now you mention it, have never seen them for sale in the US.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...