One is the loneliest number...?

Any frequent readers out there in the blogosphere may have noticed that my posting schedule has changed from a (hopeful) twice a day to a (slightly depressing) once a day...anyone visiting here due to a random search on Google probably just thought "why did 'bare-legged stewardess' or 'VEST FEEDING BEFORE BASKETING IN RACING PIGEON' (why all caps? why?) pull this up, this isn't what I was looking for"...

The reason for the change of pace is dual fold...firstly, an alteration in my work schedule...and, secondly, an increase in the number of places that I am writing for...I know, I know, I shouldn't whine...Susie Bubble posts at an astounding rate with nary a whimper...and here I am bemoaning the lack of hours in the day to get everything done...it's obviously a case of "not so much a bang as a whimper, not so much a whimper as a wimp".

If you are, however, a glutton for punishment and miss the additional posts you may want to take a look at 212DRESSINGROOM...part store/part fashion and art magazine ...for a chance to shop and read some more in-depth posts from myself and fellow bloggers (like Patricia Yagüe of bobble bee) similar to the one below...

Photobucket


When I glanced in the mirror today I saw a rather eclectic mix of an Isabel Marant dress, American Apparel t-shirt, Chanel cuff, and no-name shoes. A look that is both comfortable and an expression of my personal style but by no means fast fashion; thought and effort are required. And though, for myself, I love the thrill of mixing and matching, and dislike the accompanying knowledge that some days will be decidedly more “miss” than “hit”, I do occasionally yearn for the ease of ‘le tout ensemble’. But, in today’s society, is there any place for loyalty to a single designer or label? Especially when one considers that the very concept of wearing a solitary designer’s wares from head to toe seems dated and more of a uniform than a method of self-expression.

Initially I thought that a look at a roll-call of women with such fashion faithfulness may assist me, though both Vanessa Traina at Proenza Schouler and Lauren Santo Domingo at Nina Ricci fall under the “designer and their muse” category which, though I’m sure is pleasing for both parties isn’t possible for most of us. A glance at the socialite roster gives us Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy and her affection for Calvin Klein, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and her allegiances to Chanel, Givenchy, and Oleg Cassini (amongst others), and Babe Paley who regularly bought entire haute couture collections from major fashion houses. Once again, though this kind of largesse inspires envy it probably doesn’t help to answer the label loyalty question for the majority of us. Perhaps a perusal of history may help.

more...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 6 comments:

  • 6:17 PM
    I did wonder (loved the 2x a day). Nice to know where else to find you...
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:56 PM
    I'm very happy for you! Your talent should be showcased everywhere. Congratulations!
  • Anonymous said...
    4:33 AM
    Thanks for the mention!

    I was going to post about 212...i'm a little confused by the concept... it's a blog first, shop second? Perhaps the website is just confusing me a little... I'll explore more!
  • Hebden said...
    9:13 AM
    erica - hopefully I can get onto a more even keel and get back to my 2 posts...I'm thinking of starting a petition to get more than 24 hours in a day...

    enc - WAY too kind, but thank you!

    susie - my understanding is shop first, editorial content second
  • The Spicers said...
    9:31 AM
    Congratulations!
    I thought that was you.
  • Bobble Bee said...
    11:33 PM
    Thanks so so much for the mention! ^_^
    i had no idea you were involved too
    xoxo

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...