“How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them” - Benjamin Franklin

A discussion on The Fashion Spot regarding New Year’s style resolutions got me thinking. As I mentioned before, I’m not a believer in the traditional resolutions…weight loss, new job, etc...as I feel that, generally, you’re setting yourself up for failure...especially when it comes weight loss...and do we really need to start the year feeling bad?

The style resolutions that I read though seemed to be more positive...or at least achievable…so I decided to break with tradition and make some clothing-related resolutions of my own.

1. Wear something within two weeks of purchasing it. If there’s a delay between purchase and first use I have a nasty habit of letting new purchases languish in closet no-man’s land.

2. Try to focus on buying at least a few things that I actually need. As my bank account can attest, I find it alarmingly easy to spend money on something that I will get limited wear out of but is “beautiful” rather than buying a few of the practical, yet dull, necessities of life.

3. Continue to "cull the herd". Anything un-worn, un-loved, or ug-ly has to go. No more keeping things because of the memories associated with them or the fact that I remember how expensive they were. Hello eBay, thrift store, or donation box! Goodbye to staring at clothes that make me feel guilty!

I could probably keep going but I’m going to stop at a (hopefully) manageable three. Which, of course, leads to the question...what are your style resolutions for 2008?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • Jennifer said...
    1:34 PM
    style resolutions... it would help if they were concrete, wouldn't it. i'm still in the process of identifying my fashion foibles, so i'm not quite ready to implement a strategy to prevent future ones. i cleared out so many things that my lucky project this year is only about shopping, not sorting. and i want to bravely go forth with the credit card responsibly, so i'm going slowly. i sooooo often fall in love with things that have a domino effect of acquisition - a dress that would look so great with boots and a coat that i don't yet own, etc. i hesitate to wear my most favorite things - that HAS to change.
    "a work in progress" indeed.
    happy new year.
  • 10:55 PM
    Wow, I agree with all 3 of your resolutions, especially #1. If I don't wear something right away, the chances of me wearing it at all decline rapidly. I'm also trying to revive old favorites from my wardrobe so they don't get buried in the back of my closet. Happy New Year!
  • 8:56 AM
    To never enter Primark again. LLG xx
  • Anonymous said...
    6:51 AM
    Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm totally enjoying your blog.

    I as well am an ambitious blogger yet I'm still new to everything.
    Have you got any points for novice blog writers?

    I'd certainly appreciate it.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...