"It's her place...where her dreams have room to grow"

Last night I was watching television...flipping through the channels...and was horrified to see a commercial for the "Rose Petal Cottage"...a plastic palace that you can fill with all the plastic stoves, sinks, and nursery sets needed to convince your child that we're still living in the 1950's. The assault to the senses continues with the accompanying jingle...lyrics so cringe-worthy they cause the viewer to wince violently and put their back out.

I couldn't track down the commercial I saw but I did find this alternative version. Once again, the soundtrack is hardly inspiring...and I quote...

"I love when my laundry gets so clean
Taking care of my home is a dream...dream...dream"

Dream...nightmare...they're so close one gets them confused sometimes...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    10:22 AM
    While I completely understand your revulsion to this, I will admit that as a kid I LOVED playing house (but then again, I also loved pretending that I was a spy and my trusty Talking Teacher was my super-awesome computer). Is it kind of dated? Yes. But let's be positive--toys like this do encourage imaginative play, and letting kids embrace these kinds of toys does usually let them unleash their creativity, which can make it much more subversive than meets the eye.
  • Unknown said...
    5:42 PM
    Good god woman, I just blogged about my feelings on this commercial yesterday! It's absolutely appalling to me... glad I'm not the only one :)

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...