Building on a solid foundation

Sometimes my thrifty, frugal (a.k.a. cheap) Scottish ancestry raises its head. Not that it happens often; as my husband once said, “you are the only person I have ever met with absolutely no self control”; all in all, it's a fair statement but…over some things…I am a positive Ebenezer Scrooge.

The general rule of thumb for my miserly behavior is that if it’s out of sight, it truly is out of mind. This means that, for the most part, my tights, socks, bras, etc are all sadly worse for wear. It's an embarassing admission to make and it's not that I don't realize how important these things are. It's just...if I have some money crying "Spend me! Spend me!"...I find it hard to get excited over the thought of buying a pair of opaque DKNY tights.

Perhaps I need to set myself a goal...once a week for, say, two months...I buy a "necessary evil" and lay the foundation to build better outfits.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • mavieenrose said...
    6:39 PM
    I have much the same problem - does this mean I'm shallow, that I'd rather spend money on clothes that everyone is actually going to see?
  • Hebden said...
    7:29 PM
    No...I think (hope) it means that we are realists who have decided where we want to spend our fashion dollars.

    As a side note, thanks for commenting - I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks like this.
  • 3:34 PM
    I have the exact same problem. Thanks for your post--I think it'll spur me to change.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...