The end of the world as we know it...

There are a lot of concerns related to fashion…am I spending too much? Will I wear this more than once? And the popular, does my bum look big in this? Now, according to the NY Times, I’m partially responsible for Global Warming as well! It’s a lot for a girl to deal with.
In the article, and underlying report, we’re told that “clothes – and fast clothes in particular – are a large and worsening source of the carbon emissions that contribute to global warming, because of how they are both produced and cared for”. There are also some suggestions on what can be done:

Barbara Kruger


Air drying clothes instead of tumble drying them – I’m ahead of the curve on this one as I hand-wash and air-dry a lot of my clothes

Buying more expensive and durable clothing that can be worn for years – this sounds like the ultimate rationalization argument, “yes, it’s expensive…but I’m saving the planet”

“Leasing” clothes and returning them at the end of the month so that they can be lent to someone else (like library books) – no, no, and no again

So, I was wondering…will this affect anyone’s buying habits? Would you turn your back on an item of clothing because you knew what it was doing to the planet? Would you lease your clothes?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...