Who built the ark?

A leak in the ceiling of one of our closets caused near panic yesterday morning. Luckily no clothes were damaged, though the closet isn’t doing too well, but it did raise a question that I continuously go back to…is it shallow of me to care so much about inanimate objects? And, even if it is shallow, do I care or should I just wallow in my shallowness like a hippo in a mud bath?

Personally, I think this is one of those things that society conditions into you and then you spend a lifetime feeling guilty about. It’s the twin-sister to those nagging pangs of guilt that sometimes appear when I buy something expensive…though I do believe that fashion can be an investment. True, I don’t think that something from H&M is going to go up in value but interesting designer pieces have the potential to. That’s a side issue though, as I’m not buying clothing as an investment strategy but because each specific item appeals to me and becomes a part of me…the me that I choose to be each day as I face the world. Surely that is something that is beyond price…

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • 1:49 AM
    Sorry to hear about your closet. I agree with your philosophy about the clothes--it's not shallow at all. It's reasonable to get upset when something you've put money into (even if it's not a lot) gets damaged, be it clothes or a car. When it comes to clothes, it's not just about the money--many individual pieces do carry sentimental value and memories, which make losing them especially sad.
  • Hebden said...
    8:19 PM
    Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone.
  • site said...
    7:38 AM
    Quite worthwhile piece of writing, thanks for the article.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...