A Lack of Resolve

According to Wikipedia, New Year’s resolutions date back to 153 B.C. and Janus, the mythical king of early Rome. “With two faces, Janus could look back on past events and forward to the future. Janus became the ancient symbol for resolutions and many Romans looked for forgiveness from their enemies and also exchanged gifts before the beginning of each year.”

Subconsciously, perhaps this is why I am a firm non-believer in New Year’s resolutions…I don’t want to be two-faced. It seems like the majority of people break theirs by January or February…is this really how we want to start the year, feeling like we failed at something? Naturally, I would love to lose a few pounds, drink less, eat a little healthier (I’m not going to say start going to a gym because I know that’s not going to happen)…but I’m not going to motivate myself through guilt; if that worked I wouldn’t keep buying expensive handbags.

Plus, wouldn’t life be very dull if we all lived in such a state of perfection? As Oscar Wilde said, “The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it”.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...